Wednesday 23 May 2012

Massage - what a treat!

I love going to the beauty salon. It's such a treat to have someone pamper you for the time you are there and make you feel like you are the most important person in the world.

Usually, my treat is a manicure and pedicure before my holiday, and after a show where I have used lots of stage makeup a nice facial. But the real indulgence, which I treat myself to very rarely, is a massage.

There is something very decadent about a massage. The combination of the relaxing music, sensual essential oils and the masseuse's trained hands soothing tired muscles and warming your skin feels almost ancient Roman in it's application. I could well imagine myself as a Roman duchess being anointed by slaves who are playing their lute and feeding me grapes. Fanciful I know, but if you have ever had one you will recognise straight away what I mean.

The best time to have a massage is just before the salon closes at 9pm, when you can be anointed with oils, rubbed, scrubbed and stretched and then have a quick drive home straight into a warm relaxing bed. You don't half sleep well! But failing that, late afternoon when you can go home and relax for a couple of hours with a cuppa is also good.

The Hubby thinks massage is a bit odd. "I don't want some stranger rubbing their hands all over my body" he says, which is odd because I would have thought that most men would thoroughly enjoy that sort of thing. Needless to say he has never tried it of course, and so has never experienced nor is able to comment upon the definite benefits it brings.

Last summer, there were Chinese people offering massages on the beach when we were on holiday. For a very reasonable price of fifteen euros, they would give you a half hour back and shoulder massage on your sunbed. For thirty euros, you could have a full hour, full body massage. I could swear that the girls doing this worked in the Chinese restaurant in town in the evening, but nevertheless they did a good job. I opted for the half hour back and shoulder combo, which was very good, thorough and almost a sports massage in its severity. I really felt energised afterwards, though.

If you've never had a massage, I'd urge you to give it a try. Do it on a cold winter's evening when you can go home and snuggle up. You will feel de-stressed, calm and have the best night's sleep you've ever had. Bet ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on my blog. I want to know what you think. Do you agree with me, or not?