Tuesday 15 May 2012

Opening night- oh yes it is!

Tomorrow is opening night.

The familiar butterflies are starting to vaguely flit around in my stomach whenever I think about it. Although I know my words and we have done a couple of run throughs, I can’t say I feel ready.

But there’s nothing to be done but to go for it, as we have a large number of fairly foolish people that have paid good money to come and see it both tomorrow and all week.

Each time I do a production, I am staggered at the skill, dedication and expertise that goes into all the different aspects and I feel very privileged to work with such clever and talented people.

This particular show is basically set in a woodland glade. We have beautiful leafy trees, a realistic looking grassy bank strewn with colourful flowers and plants, and wonderful lighting effects for moonlight, starlight and bright daytime. The costumes are gorgeous and consist of silks, satins and chiffons. It makes a very pleasant change for me to be a pastel clad, glittery fairy instead of being in my usual black velvet with a menacing cackle ( I can still do it though, as I demonstrated in the dressing rooms the other night).

Come 7.40 on Wednesday night I will be fully primped, preened and dressed in sparkle, and will be pacing up and down in the ladies dressing room a bag of nerves. It doesn’t matter how many shows I do, or how much experience I have, I never fail to be twitchy and stressed. My tummy churns and I can’t eat after about 4pm or I feel like I might be ill. I stand in the wings waiting for my cue and my mind goes blank – I can’t remember what to say for love nor money, and the panic rises. But the minute I walk on the stage for the first time that night under the lights, the nerves vanish and I can perform; it’s quite a transformation.

I simply wouldn’t do it if I didn’t feel like this. The nerves give an edge to the performance and make sure that you are at your best. Going on stage complacent or over confident would be a recipe for disaster and without a doubt, mistakes would be made. Lines would be forgotten, props would be dropped, dance steps would be in the wrong place and at the wrong time and there would be a wardrobe malfunction. So being nervous is good, and keeps you on your toes.

I am lucky that my nerves do not extend to being physically sick like some people (Dawn French being a famous example, I believe, although I may be maligning her) which would be horrible. I never drink before a show either, as it dulls the senses and reactions – you never know when someone else is going to make a mistake and need you to help them. I have never forgotten one panto when I was on stage with the Dame and Stooge. The chap playing the Dame, who had indulged a drink or two for Dutch courage, forgot his lines and after a few seconds the other guy playing the Stooge, who had also imbibed that evening, cheerfully said “Well, I’ll be off then” and promptly left the stage. An inexperienced teenager, I had no idea what to do and couldn’t think of anything to say. I haven’t forgotten or forgiven until this day, and I’m sure it was all the result of dressing room alcohol.

Opening night is always magical. Everyone is taut and at their best, and the first audience’s reactions give you a clue to what the rest of the week will be like and you can slightly adapt accordingly. You always come offstage at the end on a high.

So after all the preparation, line learning and rehearsal, bring it on …..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on my blog. I want to know what you think. Do you agree with me, or not?